Friday, April 16, 2010

Random Thoughts from the Road

Greetings Quinnites:

I spent the majority of this week on the road driving through the states of Virginia and Mississippi. Both are beautiful, but very different states. Here are a few of this week's random thoughts from my time in transit:

1. Contrary to some of the things that I continue to hear and read, PQC remains fully accredited. I guess the confusion on this fact speaks to the complexity of the subject matter. I just wish folks would call or email me for clarification instead of spreading erroneous information (which only serves to hurt their credibility and unfairly damage my students).

2. Driving through the Mississippi Delta was a journey back in time for me. One part of my family is from Natchez, MS and as a boy, I rode through some of these towns with my grandparents to visit relatives. Even though it has been more than 30 years since I last made that trip in the back seat of my grandfather's car- today as I drove, I was taken back to being a ten year old boy fascinated by the sight of the farmland and the sound of the Blues.

3. I very much enjoyed my visit to Delta State. Very impressive campus and staff. Great facilities. It has to be considered one of the hidden gems in higher education.

4. I also enjoyed meeting my fraternity brothers (Kappa Alpha Psi) from Mississippi Valley State University during my impromptu visit to their campus. They may be from the new school, but their spirit is reminiscent of the days of yore. Keep achieving brothers.

5. It was a bit eerie to watch ESPN's documentary on Allen Iverson ("No Crossover") while in Hampton, VA. As I watched the young Iverson, I could not help but be saddened by what his life has become. I hope that there is time to avoid a tragic ending.

6. Good luck to the PQC Track & Field Team as they compete in the Red River Conference track meet tomorrow. I'm proud of your effort and your pride. You are true Quinnites.

Until next week,
President Sorrell

No comments:

Post a Comment